Search This Blog

Followers

Pages

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Athens: Introduction (Part II)


The Odeon

Acropolis by day
Set in present day Athens at 10:50 am.  The Tuesday morning pedestrian traffic is relatively sparse on the western path of the Acropolis. A tourist is walking with a paper cup of cappuccino in hand down Theorias Street, the pedestrian road leading toward the popular Monastraki Square. A short, thin man in his late forties in black leather pants and jacket wearing sunglasses approaches. The tourist takes note of him as he nears.

Voldemort comes from da
Grrreek werd meaning wizard
Leather Man:  (speaking with an Italian accent pointing to the cappuccino) Where did you get that my friend? I could use one of those.
Tourist: I got it back up the hill there, just after the Acropolis gate.
Leather Man: Come on. Up the hill? (looking confused) Where is that?
Tourist: Up this path five minutes there is a street to the left called Parthenos. Take that route. (pointing in the direction)
Leather Man: I’m a tourist. I just got into town two hours ago. I’m Italian - from Venice.
Tourist:  I guess… I guess I should be heading back now so I can show you the way. You want me to show you?
Leather Man: Thank you, where you from my friend?

The two begin to casually walk up Theorias Street. The Leather man walks slowly while taking frequent stops to speak. Tourist must slow his pace to match the irritating, frequent pauses.  The tourist is skeptical of the Leather Man’s honesty as he remembers the warning from the night before about the “Fake Tourists” that dupe lone travelers out of money.

Rob encouraging friends to break
out of their shell
Tourist: I’m Canadian.
Leather Man: Ahh Canadian, Bravo! Bravo! Montreal? Vancouver?
Tourist: I’m from a place near Toronto.
Leather Man: Very good, Ontario. I’ve been to Montreal. You speak French?
Tourist: Not very well. Un peu.
Leather Man:  I speak French better then English. I speak four languages- French English, Italian, and Spanish. I am a manufacturing engineer here for work.
Tourist: Oh your English is pretty good? (smiles with the compliment)
 Leather Man:  I have been to Canada five times. Last time I was between Ottawa and British Columbia.
Tourist: You mean Quebec? (looks skeptical)
A narrow victory over the
two closest german competitors
Leather Man: Si, Si. Yes. While I was there my friend gives me a dog…pup..puppy (opens wallet to shows the tourist a picture of himself standing beside and a full grown German Sheppard)
Leather Man:  My baby is seven years old now.  My friend visits me in Venice and can’t believe how big my dog is. (gestures to show how high the dog is)  Hey, do you have a name my friend?
Tourist: My name is Rob or Robert. And you?
Leather Man: (stops and speaks with surprised enthusiasm) Roberto!! MY NAME is Roberto! I am named after my grandfather. He was Roberto.
Agora museum
Tourist: I was named after my Father. (more wary of Leather Man as the coincidences accumulate)
Leather Man: How old are you Roberto?
Tourist: 48 years old.
Leather Man: (pauses, then smiles) In one month and 4 days I will be 50. I am a Christmas Eve baby. (starts walking again) Have you been in Athens long? Which hotel are you staying at?
Tourist: I’ve been in town a few days but I’m not in a hotel.  I have an apartment. 
The tourist is guarded and is reluctant to give out personal info.
Leather Man: I’m staying downtown at the Intercontinental Hotel. You know this place? It is a nice hotel. 

Leather Man opens wallet again and pulls out a square coded key card labeled ‘Intercontinental Hotel Luxury Suites’, hands it to the tourist who examines it then hands it back.

Tourist:  So, we are almost there.  What are you gonna do the rest of your morning? (changing topic gladly)
Four Greek Gods?
Leather Man: (gestures toward the Acropolis) Oh I saw the Acropolis and the Agora already.
Tourist:  You did all that in just two hours? I spent 2 1/2 hours on just the Acropolis on Sunday! (skeptical expression.)
Leather Man: Yes, my girlfriend is flying in from Venice to meet me. She will be here today. 

Leather Man opens his wallet again to show another picture. This time the picture is of himself in casual shirt and jeans with his arm around a much younger looking curvaceous brunette in a revealing dress.

Tourist:  She’s a good looking woman.
Temple of Zeus ruins
Leather Man: Are you alone here?
Tourist:  No, I’m on a morning walk. My wife is back at the apartment. You know how women need a little extra time in the morning, eh?
Leather Man: I’m not married. I like f#%@g being a single guy. I have a free will. You know what I mean?

There is a long pause in conversation as they arrive at the street where the Café is located.

Tourist:  Ah…this is the place you want that cappuccino?
Leather Man: It is here. I don’t need coffee now. Lets go this way. (points to the direction continuing along the Acropolis)  My girlfriend, she will be arriving today form Venice she, and then I meet with her.
Tourist: My place is just down this road, I think my wife will be ready about now. (attempting to dodge the Leather man)
Leather Man: You like wine?
Tourist: Sure. Who doesn’t?
Leather Man: You come, you come with me.  I know a good place with good f#%@g wine. 

The tourist has heard enough and takes the opportunity to leave.


Tourist: Thanks for the offer, Roberto. I must get back now. Thanks for the conversation. It was a pleasure meeting you. Have a good stay in Athens.
Leather Man:  Ah, come on… just for a little while.  We’ll have a glass of wine.  It’s a good place.
Tourist:  No. The offer sound lovely.  I really have to get going.  Ciao and enjoy your visit.
Leather Man: Ahhh, okay. Bye my friend. Nice meeting you.

If you wish to read about the real Roberto (Francesco) check out this link. 



1 comment:

  1. It is crazy that this guy is famous, and he probably doesn't even know it. I can't believe that so many people have been ripped off by him. He immediately sounded creepy, and the fact that he kept feeling the need to "prove" what he was saying, made him sound like a liar.
    Don't worry too much about the quizzes. I really like them, but it has to come naturally. You still have such a long time in Europe that I am sure one will come up. :)
    I will miss you at Christmas time. I wish that you guys were going to be here celebrating with us. What will you do during the holidays?
    Leo is getting so big. He is walking now!! I can't wait for you to see him on Skype.
    Love you!
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete